Stay Connected:

Search Here

Gatemen drop ninth road game of the season to Yarmouth-Dennis

Garen Caulfield (Arizona) bats during Wareham’s 12-2, fog-shortened loss to the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox, July 8, 2023 at Red Wilson Field in Yarmouth. Photo by Maddy Djuric.

Wareham’s road struggles continued Saturday night as they dropped another away game to Yarmouth-Dennis. In their second fog-shortened game of the season, the Gatemen fell to the Red Sox 12-2 at Red Wilson Field.

The Gatemen struggled on both sides of the ball tonight. The Red Sox had eight hits and 12 walks compared to Wareham’s six hits and four walks.

The Red Sox immediately attacked starting pitcher Nolan Hughes (Xavier transfer) by putting up three runs in the bottom of the second, the first of which came on a bases loaded walk. Hughes struggled to find the strike zone and walked eight batters in his 3.2 innings of work. 

Keegan Allen (West Virginia) came into the game in the bottom of the fourth in relief with two outs and two runners on. Before he could escape the inning, however, Yarmouth-Dennis put up another three-spot on Wareham with a three run bomb by the first batter Allen faced who was none other than the league leader in home runs, Hunter Hines (Mississippi State). 

The Gatemen escaped a jam with a big swinging strikeout from Allen to leave two runners stranded in the bottom of the fourth and used that momentum to get going in the top of the fifth. Tommy Splaine (Arizona) hit a leadoff single to give the Gatemen a runner on first. JC Colon (Missouri) moved him over when he reached on a walk. Garen Caulfield (Arizona) scored his Wildcat teammate from second with an RBI single to get the Gatemen on the board, andGrant Hussey (West Virginia) reached on a fielder’s choice that bought Colon enough time to cross home and cut the Red Sox lead to four.

Allen sat the Yarmouth-Dennis batters down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the fifth to push the game along. However, the Gatemen were unable to take hold of that momentum and failed to put up another run for the rest of the night.

Thomas Kane (Maryland) came in relief for Allen in the top of the seventh. Kane struggled to get going as the fog started to move into the field of play. A walk and a single put two runners on for the Red Sox. They then both took advantage of a passed ball to move into scoring position before the bases were loaded via yet another walk. The offensive onslaught from Yarmouth-Dennis continued with a two-run single followed by a fielding error to add three runs to their tally. The second bases-loaded walk of the night brought another runner across the plate and the runs were then increased to six off another two-run single. After the big hit, the umpires huddled for a meeting before the game was called due to the influx of fog covering the field.

After tonight’s loss, Wareham fell back into fourth place in the West with a record of 10-12-2, just above the Falmouth Commodores. The Gatemen will need to improve their home record throughout the second half of the season after going 1-9-2 on the road in the first 24 games. 

The Gatemen return home to Spillane Field to face the Hyannis Harbor Hawks with first pitch set for 6 p.m.