Wareham and Brewster Play to 10 inning, 2-2 Tie

BREWSTER, Mass. –  The Wareham Gatemen have already fallen victim to the notorious Chatham fog on their young season.  Tuesday’s contest against the Brewster Whitecaps featured another Cape Cod League pitfall: ties due to darkness. Without lights, the Whitecaps (2-1-2) and Gatemen (2-1-1) were forced to call the game at 8:14 p.m., with the score tied 2-2.  The tie nets each team one point in the overall cape standings, pushing Wareham’s total to five and Brewster’s to six.


The Gatemen wasted no time getting to Brewster starter Sean Bierman (Vanderbilt) in the first inning.  Ryan LaMarre (Michigan) led off with a triple to center field, the first three bagger of the year for Wareham. Derek Dietrich (Georgia Tech) hit a groundball to second base that was thrown wide of the bag by Colin Walsh (Stanford), allowing LaMarre to come home and give Wareham a 1-0 lead.


Matt Barnes (Connecticut), after giving up two runs in one inning of relief in the season opener against Cotuit, pitched effectively for the Gatemen in the starting role.  He went five innings, giving up one run on two hits, striking out seven against just one walk.  With the game tied at 1-1 after five innings, both teams got to work offensively in the sixth.


In the top of the sixth, Dietrich walked to start the inning.  After consecutive flyouts by Ryan Pineda (Cal State Northridge) and Alex Dickerson (Indiana), it looked as if Dietrich might be stranded on the first base bag.  George Springer (Connecticut) singled, advancing Dietrich to third, and the Gatemen scored their second run of the game on another Whitecaps error, this time a shallow fly ball of the bat of Cole Leonida (Georgia Tech) that fell in between Walsh and right fielder Mark Canha (California).

The Gatemen were up 2-1 through five and a half, but that lead would be short-lived as Brewster scored on a squeeze play in the home half of the sixth.  Wareham got a pair of solid efforts in relief from Bruce Kern (St. John’s) and Josh Slaats (Hawaii) to preserve the 2-2 tie through 10 innings.


Kern pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings, striking out three and giving up only one hit.  Slaats pitched the ninth and tenth, striking out the side in his final inning of work.


Wareham will roll the dice and travel out to Chatham Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. to attempt to make up the “fogged out” game against the Anglers that was supposed to be the 2009 season opener.

Comments are closed