Three Ties in Three Games – Gatemen & Kettleers Tie Both Game of Double-Header

COTUIT, Mass.  The Gatemen extended their oddest streak this season – ties – to three consecutive games, halving both ends of a doubleheader against the Cotuit Kettleers by identical scores of 3-3.

In game one, Cotuit (9-12-4) scored a run in the bottom of the first on a balk from Wareham starter Jack Armstrong (Vanderbilt).  Armstrong recovered to give up three runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings.


Cotuit tacked on another run in the third to take a 2-0 lead into the top of the fourth.  Zach Wilson (Arizona State) and Alex Dickerson (Indiana) led off with back-to-back singles, putting runners on first and second with no outs.  Brett Eibner (Arkansas) laid down a sacrifice bunt to move runners to second and third, and Ryan LaMarre (Michigan) brought home Wilson with a sacrifice fly to put the Gatemen (10-10-4) on the board, down 2-1.


Wareham came up with two clutch two-out hits.  George Springer (Connecticut) singled home Dickerson and advanced to second on the throw home, allowing Jake Lemmerman (Duke) to knock home Springer with the fourth Wareham single in the inning.


Wareham took their 3-2 lead into the fifth, when Cotuit’s Zach Cone (Georgia) tied the ballgame with an RBI single, knocking home Cory Vaughn (San Diego State).

Dean Kiekhefer (Louisville) relived Armstong and pitched 2 2/3 scoreless innings, facing the minimum number of batters and striking out four.


The game was deadlocked through nine innings (under Cape Cod League rules, regulation doubleheaders are seven innings long), when it was called by the umpires so that the upcoming second game would have enough time to be played in full before sundown, as Lowell Park has no lights.


As it later turned out, the second game could not be completed either, as Wareham and Cotuit played to another 3-3 draw when the contest was called due to darkness after six innings.

Wareham grabbed the early lead in game two, as Springer drew a two-out walk in the second inning and stole second base.  Lemmerman subsequently singled him home to put the Gatemen on top 1-0.


Wareham added two more runs to their lead in the fourth on a wacky defensive miscue.  With LaMarre on first and two outs, Springer hit a fly ball to deep right field.  Cone went back toward the fence, and the ball kicked off of his glove and over the fence.   The play was ruled a four-base error on Cone, not a home run, but the result was the same, scoring two runs and putting the Gatemen on top 3-0.


Cotuit came back, scoring one run in the third and two in the fourth to knot up the game.  Entering the bottom of the sixth, which the impending darkness signaled would likely be the final inning of the game, Cotuit loaded the bases with just one out against the pitching tandem of Josh Slaats (Hawaii) and Keith Bilodeau (Maine).


The Gatemen turned to Scott Rembisz (Florida International) to preserve the tie.  Rembisz struck out pinch hitter Brandon May (Alabama) and inducing a foul pop-up from Jeff Rowland (Georgia Tech) to end the inning without giving up any runs.  The umpires initially sent the Kettleers out on the field to start the top of the seventh, but called off the game before a pitch was thrown in the evening.


Including Sunday’s 2-2 draw against Yarmouth-Dennis, the Gatemen have now tied three straight.  They return to Spillane Field Tuesday to take on the Brewster Whitecaps (9-11-3).  At least one thing will be certain: the game will be decided regardless of the number of innings.

Comments are closed