Kiekhefer Preserves Double-Header Sweep of Hyannis

HYANNIS, Mass.  Dean Kiekhefer (Louisville) came into the game in the final inning and inherited a bases-loaded, no-outs situation and proceeded to strike out the side and pick up a dramatic save as the Wareham Gatemen took two from the Hyannis Mets at McKeon Park; winning game two 4-3 in 8 innings.  Prior to the exciting final moments, game 2 of this double-header began much the same as the first, with the Gatemen plating two runs in the top half of the first inning.


With one out, Dietrich walked and Wilson doubled, extending his hitting streak to nine games.  Ryan LaMarre (Michigan) reached on an infield single to load the bases with only one out.

Springer drew a bases loaded walk off of Hyannis starter Kevin Brandt (East Carolina) to put the Gatemen on the board, and Chris Hannick (Cal State Northridge) followed with a sacrifice fly that made it 2-0 Gatemen after one half inning.


Hannick’s day wasn’t done yet; he started the fourth inning with a solo home run that put the Gatemen up 3-0.   The Mets (6-11-1) came storming back, scoring one run in the fourth off of starter Brett Eibner (Arkansas) and two runs in the fifth, both charged to Zach Brewster (Georgia Tech).  The fifth inning was a long one for the Wareham defense as a seemingly routine grounder to second base resulted in 1B Wilson coming off the bag; leaving runners on the corners.  After a walk to load the bases, a shallow pop up to left-center field was mishandled; allowing Hyannis to tie the game at 3.


Scheduled for 7 innings, this game remained tied and went to an extra frame.  The Gatemen drew first blood in the that began when Springer was issued a leadoff walk and took second base on a passed ball.  After a strikeout and groundout, things looked bleak for the Wareham rally in the eighth.  However, Ryan Pineda’s(Cal State Northridge) clutch single scored a diving Springer across the plate, putting Wareham on top 4-3 heading into the bottom of the eighth.


Heading to the bottom half of the inning, Hyannis again refused to quit, loading the bases with no outs off of Josh Slaats (Hawaii).  Dean Kiekhefer (Louisville) entered the game with the tying run on third and winning run on second and a base runner on first after an intentional walk by Slaats.  This set up one of the most dramatic moments of the Gatemen season and closed the door on this important 2 game sweep over division rival Hyannis on the road at McKeon Park.  Kiekhefer earned his first save, preserving the Gatemen win by striking out three straight batters, as Wareham held on for a 4-3 victory.


The two-game win streak puts the Gatemen back above .500 for the season and propels them into 2nd place in the CCBL Western Division.  They will try to maintain that mark with a 5:00 road contest against the Cotuit Kettleers (8-8-2).  Matt Barnes (UCONN) will be the starting pitcher for the Gatemen and the Cotuit starter has not yet been announced.

Comments are closed