Baseball Operations Internship – Wareham Gatemen (Wareham, MA) Summary:
Contribute to the Wareham Gatemen Baseball Operations team for the 2016 summer season as one of our highly valued interns. We’re looking for dynamic individuals who can contribute to our Baseball Operations by specializing in one of the following areas: Scouting, Roster Management, or Analytics. Each focus has slightly different responsibilities, but all of our interns will get
exposure to the full Baseball Operations Department. All of these internships take place in Wareham, MA, within the Nationals Baseball Operations Department, and span from May 31, 2016 through the end of the season August 13, 2016.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with major baseball events such as the amateur draft, trade deadline, and salary arbitration
- Manage recurring tasks such as organizing roster boards, updating depth charts, and daily reports
- Ad hoc data analysis projects
- Review of new research from various external analytical sources
- Support with general office work including mailings, guest interaction, document production and filing
- Specialization in one area of Baseball Operations outlined below
- Other duties as assigned
The Scouting focus includes assisting the GM and Coaching Staff with collection, preparation, organization and uploading all scouting reports, game charts, trackman reports, individual game video clips and any and all other scouting related material to the Wareham Gatemen Scouting website. The position works closely with video, including the capturing, editing and uploading of all Gatemen games.
The Roster Management focus includes assisting the GM and Coaching Staff with day to day assignments along with long term projects centered on roster management and recruitment. Being able to work in a fast paced environment is key. Highly advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills are strongly preferred.
The Analytics focus includes an emphasis on computer programming and data analysis. The intern’s main responsibility will be to assist the Scouting Interns with input, cleaning, and processing of baseball data onto the Wareham Gatemen Scouting website. There will also be assignments that require statistical analysis on large volumes of baseball-related data. . Highly advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills are strongly preferred, as are a degree in economics, statistics, or mathematics, work experience in finance or consulting, and a demonstrated interest and understanding of publicly available sabermetrics research and data science.
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the interns.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have recently graduated from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Available for the entire term of the Internship.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Highly motivated and excellent attention to detail
- Must be able to recognize pitch types and know how to score a game
- Demonstrated passion for baseball and baseball operations
- Strong, confident communication skills including the ability to write clearly and effectively
- Ability to use time efficiently
- Proficient in MS Office applications such as Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical skills
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together
- Office: Working conditions are normal for field and office environment. Work requires weekend and/or evening work
- Full Time Internship; Approximately 10 weeks (44 game schedule); Nights and weekends
- This is a seasonal opportunity and no compensation or benefits will be provided.
- Housing is not provided but the Gatemen can assist in finding appropriate housing
- Adhere to the Wareham Gatemen organization policies and procedures
- Act as a role model within and outside the Wareham Gatemen organization
- Performs duties as workload necessitates
- Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Meet department productivity standards
Note: When you apply for this internship please include a cover letter with answers to the questions below, and a resume with references. Please send all application information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- What dates are you available for an internship?
- Which statistics do you use to evaluate baseball players?
- Do you have any previous baseball experience?
- If yes, please provide examples.
- What are your career interests within baseball?